Tobermory 10 year old

BACK in the mid-Nineties, my friends and I decided to go on a camping trip to the Isle of Mull. Long walks across the rugged island - most of the time in the rain - certainly worked up a thirst and although the Tobermory distillery was never far away, I liked beer more than whisky back then. Shocking, I know. However, we did take a trip to the distillery and I was later given a bottle of the Tobermory 10 as a gift. But that was a long time ago, so I decided to revisit this 10 year old single malt recently, which is now bottled at the higher strength of 46.3% to discover what I had been missing. Here's what I found.
    On the nose, there's lemon, salted butter, light oak, slight smoke and a vegetable note, which is underpinned by the merest whiff of marzipan. On the palate, I found the 10 to be very floral, with honey and a heap of peppery spices. The long finish gave me tangerine rind, a little dab of cinnamon, oak and a slight bitterness. All in all, a very enjoyable dram - I'm just sorry it took me so long to unearth the Tobermory's delights.

Comments