Whisky Advent Calendar: Day 24/24 - Glenfarclas 40 year old - 46%

Nose: Smooth and mellow, but give it time in the glass and wonderful aromas begin to appear. There's fragrant flowers, orange oil, leather, Brazil nuts, baked apple, sugared almonds, caramel macchiato coffee, fruit Toffos, a paper bag of sherbet lemons and a sliver of fresh kiwi fruit.

Palate: Smooth, sweet and dangerously easy to drink. There's sherry, floral notes, brown sugar, dark chocolate, a shot of espresso and plump raisins, while there's an earthiness which underpins the whole experience.

Finish: Dry with strong tannins, almonds, vanilla, treacle, dates and a sprinkle of white pepper.

Notes: Well this was certainly a surprise when I opened it on Christmas Eve. Costing around £300 a bottle, it's relatively cheap for a 40-year-old single malt, but it is still well out of my price range. It was a pleasure to sample this fine whisky and I took around an hour to fully take it in. It was also my first taste of Glenfarclas (shocking, I know) but I'll definitely be taking a closer look at their range in 2014.

Comments