Whisky Advent Calendar: Day 6/24 - Chivas Regal 18 - 40%

Nose: Toffee, candied orange, red apples, brown sugar, furniture polish and it has certain rum-like qualities which make this very pleasant in the glass.

Palate: The sweetness continues once you take a sip and there's a nutty taste along with honey and sultanas. I really didn't get much more than that.

Finish: Sweet vanilla, more toffee, honey, spicy orange and it all ends on a slight bitter note.

This certainly isn't a bad blend, but while the nose promises something truly wonderful, it didn't carry through for me and for a shade over 50 quid, I'm not sure I would part with my cash to add this to my collection. But then, that's the beauty of having a sample. For roughly the same price, I could have a bottle of Old Pulteney 12 and a Nikka From the Barrel. Actually, that's not a bad idea!

Comments