SMWS: 35.97 Boozy Christmas Cake - 58.7%

Right, here we go - my first round of tasting notes from a whisky from the Scotch Malt Whisky Society. I would have posted this sooner, but I've been over in New York and this is the first chance I've had to get writing since I returned. I'm kicking off with one of the 10cl samples included in the membership pack, the Boozy Christmas Cake. The other two samples along with my full bottle will follow over the next three posts. So pour a glass, kick back and join me on the next stage of my whisky journey

Nose: Clean, thick and bourbon-like (Elijah Craig), blackberries, thick dark toffee, rich hot apple pie with a slightly burned sugary crust, a scoop of vanilla ice cream, plump raisins and After Eight mints. Water brings creme brûlée to the fore along with a baking dish full of sweet stewed fruit. This smells utterly amazing.

Palate: Incredibly rich, with fruity baked apples, plums, blackberries and fruit syrup. Those deep fruit notes really get the mouth watering and I found this amazingly smooth despite the high alcohol percentage. There's also a sprinkling of ground cinnamon tucked away, while water intensifies those fruity notes.

Finish: Those luscious dark fruity notes return, which continue to tingle the tastebuds. I also get purple fruit Polos and smooth milk chocolate. Stunning. Water adds cinnamon, vanilla and soft brown sugar. Lovely stuff.

Notes: This is a single cask whisky from Glen Moray and for just 10 years old, it packs one hell of a fruit punch. It's a quite exceptional dram and really makes the mouth water after your first sip, tempting you to dive straight back into the glass. It's packed with dark fruit notes and goes down a treat. I wish I could have picked up a full bottle, but there will be others from the distillery. A fabulous introduction to the SMWS.

Comments