The Lost Distilleries Blend - Batch 7 - 49.5%

Another one of the samples from last year’s whisky advent calendar is The Lost Distilleries Blend - Batch 7 from the Blended Whisky Company.
     It’s a combination of malt whiskies from Port Ellen, Caperdonich, Mosstowie, Glenisla, Glenlochy and Imperial, with an added splash of grain from Port Dundas. A 70cl bottle of the stuff sells for around £350 - and only 526 were produced.
     I thought it was stunning - and my wee sample wasn’t nearly enough. I’d buy it in a heartbeat if I had the cash, but I don’t. Will need to keep my fingers crossed for a lottery win instead.

Nose: A combination of raspberry and strawberry jam, mint Aero chocolate bar and red jelly babies. There’s a slight coal smokiness with added eucalyptus and hard-boiled watermelon sweets. There’s also some buttery Danish pastry going on - or perhaps iced buns. Sweet with baked apple, brown sugar and lemon sponge cake.

Palate: An incredibly syrupy sweet arrival - I’m thinking of tinned peaches and stewed red fruits. There’s a hint of cinnamon spice, loads of jam, apricots, delicate orange, sugar, pineapple cubes, honey roasted cashews and red liquorice laces.


Finish: It’s actually quit delicate. Herbal notes, sweet liquorice, fresh strawberries and black pepper. There’s a kick of smoke and I also get coffee - specifically Vietnamese coffee which uses sweetened condensed milk rather than the standard stuff. Utterly delicious.

Comments