Whisky Advent Calendar: Day 1/24 - The Balvenie Doublewood 17 - 43%

TWO weeks ago, my wife totally surprised me by giving me a Master of Malt Whisky Advent Calendar. I couldn't quite believe it but I was absolutely thrilled. It has been sitting in the kitchen staring at me since then but today I finally got the chance to open window 1 and sample the dram inside. Below, I've put my tasting notes for the whisky and deliberately kept it short and sweet. Every day over the coming weeks, I'll post my tasting notes on the whiskies inside the calendar - no nonsense, no back story, just the facts straight from the glass. So, here we go.

Dram 1: The Balvenie Doublewood 17 year old

Nose: Honey, vanilla, golden syrup, icing sugar, strawberry jam, apple turnovers, caramel and cinnamon.
Palate: Sweet, with dried fruit, raisins, caramel, milk chocolate and sugar-topped shortbread.
Finish: Long with a nice balance of wood, honey, vanilla, tobacco leaf and a slightly bitter - though not unpleasant - note.

Comments